Monday, May 16, 2016

Message in a Bottle..errrr.. a Blog.

It's Diabetes Blog Week! This means, there are different topics every day. It's cool and I usually participate. So, let the tradition continue!

Click for the Message Monday - Monday 5/16 Link List.
Lets kick off the week by talking about why we are here, in the diabetes blog space. What is the most important diabetes awareness message to you? Why is that message important for you, and what are you trying to accomplish by sharing it on your blog? (Thank you, Heather Gabel, for this topic suggestion.)

Why am I here? Well, I started for me. I am a writer. I have published poems (four) and I enjoy slam poetry. My 2016 New years Resolution (which I've actually kept up!) was to journal every day. I've started writing two different books, one that my goal is finish and publish by the time I hit 35. Oh yea. And I have an English Writing Degree from The State university of New York at Plattsburgh. I started blogging because it appealed to me. It was something I could do to keep up my skills. Plus, I needed a release from diabetes.

But, after I started my blog, I realized that I wasn't doing it for only me. I started making more friends in the Diabetic Online Community. I got people reading. And responding. And re-Tweeting. I realized, that maybe, JUST maybe, my blog could make a difference. Not necessarily in the grand scheme of things and changing lives. But, if one person was reading and felt for ten seconds that they weren't alone, then I did something positive with my blog.

I want Non-PWD to know what diabetes is like for me. And I want them to know that it isn't like that for every one. I want PWD to read and know that I have (very openly) struggled with mental health and I don't think there is any shame in that. I want everyone I know to see that I have fought and struggled to get the devices I need, the doctors that are best for me, the insulin that cooperates best with my body, and the types of test strips I like covered by insurance. I want people to know that if your insurance company says no, you shouldn't take it for the final answer. I want people to know that, if I can do this, they can do this.

My favorite job interview question is "What do you wish to accomplish most in this world?" My answer is ALWAYS: "To make a difference in someone's life." Only, it's not a cheesy job interview answer. It's how I truly feel. And if I can do that by blogging, whether it be for five seconds, five minutes, five hours, five days, or five years, then it was all worth me sitting down, putting my fingers to the key board, and talking about my diabetes on the internet.


3 comments:

  1. And you're very good at making snarky comments to new friends! I'm really so glad we got to meet way back when. You're an amazing young woman! (Tom Brokaw was on 60 Minutes last night... :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI...you have made a difference in not just one person's life but in the lives of many. I am so thankful to have met you and more or less found my soulmate. :) We are in need of another adventure soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making a different in the lives of others is a wonderful mission.

    ReplyDelete